Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Getting Started

First off, I am a senior Ag. Comm major at Texas Tech University. I will graduate in May of 2012. I am not running from anything. I am a happy, healthy honor student with a big family and great friends, and I have had several job offers here in the U.S. BUT I want to do something that is going to touch others and change ME. God created me us to do great things, for me one of those things is the Peace Corps.

I sent in my application to become a Peace Corps volunteer in October of 2011. I was not completely sure what I was getting into, but I knew I needed to get my application in early if I wanted this to be a part of my future.  In just a couple weeks I had heard from my rep, Erin. I completed the finger print cards and background checks relatively quickly, but had to resubmit some references. On Dec. 20, 2011, I had my interview with Erin. Later that day, she called to tell me I had been nominated to Sub Saharan Africa to work with applied agriculture, specifically conservation.

I am so excited. I did not request a certain area or occupation, I wanted to be sent where I was most needed. However, I have to admit that this is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. So, my next step is to pass all my health checks, and see where this path leads me.

Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated as I begin the next step in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment